- Staff Directory
- Schedule / Calendar
- School Information
- Parent Resources
- Online Registration
Reader Fever is Grace Miller's school-wide motivational home reading program.
The objectives for the program are for students to:
- Read for the love of reading.
- Read books at their instructional and independent reading levels so they can grow as readers.
- Understand what they read.
- Connect to text in a personal way.
- Account for their reading in a way that doesn't take the joy out of reading, but will make students accountable for understanding what they read.
- Involve their parents with them in reading.
- Read widely, a variety of genre.
- Connect with others as readers.
Book Selection: (Grades 2-5)Students will select books in their Reading Range or Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD), which will be identified at the beginning of the year and will be re-assessed throughout the year using the STAR Reading test. Students will read books to meet an individual reading point goal or target. They will be given credit only for books read in their individual reading range and comprehension quizzes passed. Once their individual point goals are met for the trimester, they can read any book at any level.
Kindergarten: Reading to, with, or by students 20 minutes per night, 5 nights per week. (Reading goal: 40 books per month, minimum) Students will take the STAR test when they are reading at an appropriate level. AR quizzes can be taken during the school year with a coach. A Reading Log will be used to monitor books read to, with, or by students.
1st grade: 20 minutes per night – student reads two books; parent reads one. Students will take AR quizzes throughout the year as directed by the teacher. A Reading Log will be used to monitor books read to, with, or by students.
2nd grade: 20 minutes per night; AR Goal will be generated as a target for reading.
3rd grade: Trimester 1 & 2 @ 20 minutes per night + meeting AR goal Trimester 3 @ 30 min. per night + meeting AR goal
4th grade: 30 minutes per night, target 80 pages per week + meeting AR goal
5th grade: 30 minutes per night, target 150 pages per week + meeting AR goal