Arrival / Dismissal Procedures
Arriving at SchoolTop of Page
School starts at 8:00 AM for grades K-5. Students should not arrive before 7:50 AM because supervision is not available. This does not apply to those students enrolled in the School-Aged Care program or those students eating breakfast. Students eating breakfast may come no sooner than 7:30 AM. When the 8:00 AM bell rings to begin school, students are to freeze on one knee and wait for the teacher on duty to blow the whistle. At that time, the students are to WALK to their lines. The teachers will greet their students and escort them to class. Students arriving after 8:00 AM are considered tardy and must go to the attendance office for a tardy slip.
Dismissal from SchoolTop of Page
If a child is not picked up in a timely manner (10 minutes after dismissal) every effort will be made to contact you or those persons listed on the emergency card, to pick up your child. There is no supervision provided for your child after school. If no contact could be made within 30 minutes utilizing the emergency numbers, your child will be placed with La Verne Police Department or Child Protective Services.
Traffic ControlTop of Page
The safety of the students is the most important goal during drop-off and pick-up. We all have the responsibility to see that every child is safe. In addition, we need to keep traffic moving to facilitate student arrival and dismissal in a timely way. It is imperative that the following rules are observed:
- The white-curbed area in front of the school is for drop off and pick-up only. Do not leave your vehicle and please keep moving forward as cars in front of you leave.
- Do not stop at red curbs. Doing so creates unsafe conditions for others (pedestrians, buses, other cars).
- Children should cross the street only at the 3-way STOP intersection. It is unsafe to cross anywhere else.
- Do not pull into the Staff Lot to drop off students. There is no safe zone to walk.
- If you would like to walk your child to class, park on one of the side streets or in the Little League parking lot.
- If dropping off in the Little League lot, please pull as far forward as possible to alleviate other cars blocking traffic in the street.
- Do not make U-turns anywhere on Holly Oak. Go to a side street, if you need to turn around.
- Do not park next to another vehicle (double-parking) and do not let your child run between cars. Other drivers may not see your child.
- Be patient! You are training your child(ren) on how to follow rules and laws by the example you set.